Sunday, April 1, 2012

Week 11- Data Asset: Clear

Welcome to my Week 11- Data Asset blog post!

 This weeks lesson was about Data Assets. For most, a "data asset" does not have much meaning to it. I personally did not know exactly what a data asset was before this weeks lesson. Some examples that were given by Professor Olson were CRM and ERM. These two examples made things very clear to me. CRM as a data asset means that the information you receive from a sales call can be recorded and used for future reference when someone else is learning how to make sales calls. This could also mean that it can be used to look back on as a reference for the outcome of the call.

This photo from EBIZQ.net shows how data can be used throughout a whole business environment, and how it can be used as an asset.

I also found a video from IBMInfoGov on YouTube that also explained how data can be used as an asset for security.


One more thing that I learned about data is the difference between structured and unstructured data. The most useful data that the common person uses in the world today is unstructured data. Almost everyone either texts, emails, or watches a YouTube video in a day. A class like this would not be possible is there was no such thing as unstructured data.

Thank you for reading my blog, and I hope to have such a good time with next weeks class!

No comments:

Post a Comment